Friday, July 7, 2017

"Who I am is where I stand" (Beware - SPOILERS)

The final Peter Capaldi Doctor Who episode has aired... there's still the Christmas episode where he will actually regenerate - and that won't be for six months!

But clips of his final episode are available on YouTube.

SPOILERS

Bill has been turned into a Mondasian Cyberman.

The two Masters (the female version, Missy, portrayed by Michelle Gomez, and the male version played by John Simm) refuse to help the Doctor fight the Cybermen army. (Well, the Master refuses, Missy intends to but fails to aim a killing a stroke at her male self...resulting in him killing her)

So the Doctor goes to fight the Cybermen on his own, knowing he'll probably be killed.

"Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works because it hardly ever does.. I DO WHAT I DO BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that.. Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live. Maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, you know, maybe there's no point to any of this at all. But it's the best I can do. So I'm going to do it. And I will stand here doing it until it kills me. And you're going to die too! Some day.. And how will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand.. Where I stand is where I fall. Stand with me. These people are terrified. Maybe we can help a little. Why not, just at the end, just be kind?" - The Doctor to the Master and Missy

Powerfully done, and certainly a touchstone for people watching it. What kind of people will see it as powerful, and what kind of people will react as the Master did?

My only nitpick is that the Doctor is almost in tears when he says, "Who I am is where I stand, where I stand is where I fall."  (That's my new mantra, by the way).

When I try to imagine all the Doctors saying those lines - my favorites, Third and Fourth, would have never been in tears! Very much angry and determined...

Still, this is Nu Who and Twelfth is weary....

No comments:

Post a Comment

See the regeneration of the 12th Doctor

Up on Youtube right now (July 16, 2017) and already with over 300,000 views is our first view of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor. ...