Friday, June 23, 2017

Manifesto

In this blog, I'll be chronicling my journey through the universes of Doctor Who.

In the 1970s and 1980s, I watched Doctor Who religiously. The Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker, was my favorite, followed by Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor.

I didn't care for Peter Davison's Doctor, liked Colin Baker's first few episodes but never saw his final season, and liked much of what I saw of Sylvester McCoy's Doctor. I didn't watch the Paul McGann movie, simply because of Eric Roberts as the Doctor.

When Doctor Who was rebooted in 2005, I watched two and a half episodes of the Chris Eccleston Doctor. I saw "Rose" and "The End of the World" and liked them well enough, somehow missed the third episode, "The Unquiet Dead" with Charles Dickens, and then watched about half of "Aliens of London." When all of the aliens started farting, I turned off the show and did not turn it back on until a couple of weeks ago.

I knew of the changes in Doctors, of course -that David Tennant had succeeded Eccleston, then Matt Smith, and then Peter Capaldi.(Presumably because I had done internet searches on Doctor Who in the past, my Google News page would always have news about what was up with Doctor Who, as the years went by.)

I was intrigued by Capaldi's Doctor, as he looked so similar to Jon Pertwee, but took it no further than that until, as I say, a couple of weeks ago.

As a freelance writer, I like to work and listen to music at the same time, or watch TV episodes that I have seen dozens of times before so that I can only pay attention when my favorite scenes come up, but at other times it's simply pleasant background noise.

I have always loved the music of Doctor Who, and after tiring somewhat of listening to the soundtracks of the various Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the best things about each one except the masterpiece that was the first) I decided to go with Doctor Who soundtracks.

In looking them up on Youtube, I would find the music but also clips from the various episodes of the "reboot" or "nuWho" as it is called.

I watched one called, "The Doctor Enters the TARDIS," because it had an intriguing title and description. It's a scene from the Christmas episode, "The Husbands of River Song."

It was a clip that included a scene of Capaldi's Doctor following River Song and someone called Nardole to the TARDIS, where River Song intends to steal it. The Doctor tells her she can't, she says "Why can't I."

Capaldi's expressions were just hilarious.

Then he enters the TARDIS and, since River Song doesn't recognize him, pretends to be shocked and amazed by the fact that the TARDIS was bigger on the inside than the outside.

I loved that scene, and decided I'd better revisit the Doctor again.

A thought to ponder
There are dozens of Doctor Who clips on YouTube. Many copyright holders will demand that clips of this nature be deleted, which has always seemed to me to be stupid. Let the clips remain and you get new fans! Take them down, and you lose fans. That was the case with me - and I doubt if I'm alone in this! How I did so, and how I "consider the Doctor" is the subject of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See the regeneration of the 12th Doctor

Up on Youtube right now (July 16, 2017) and already with over 300,000 views is our first view of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor. ...